Saturday, March 29, 2014

Hodge Podge

I've been in a funk.  I miss New York. I miss Krista, Joanne, my sister in laws -- I miss going over to Joanne's and having a bagel and talking.  I miss our neighbors Paula and RoseAnn.  I miss Tom and Mary, our church friends.  Even as busy as they were with all their grandchildren they were filling Andrew's need for grandparent figures.

Colorado is beautiful and I love our home - but I don't have, and I won't have, those kind of relationships here.  It takes a great deal for me to bond with someone - I'm much like Andrew.

Jim loves it here.  He doesn't miss New York at all.  He is worried about me.  He said he would move back but I will not move again - it's too expensive and exhausting.  He is happy and Andrew is happy and that is what really matters.  I am use to being a miserable fuck. :-)

I've been cooking up a storm.  I am posting here a few of my cooking groups dinners and a few things I have made lately.


 A variation of Amy Thielen's Brown Butter Rosemary Chicken.  It was fantastic.



My macaroni and cheese with barbecue kielbasa.  This was delicious!



A variation of Amy Thielen's Chicken Pot Pie with Bev's Crust.  Buy her cookbook for this crust recipe alone.  The best crust EVER.  I know everyone says they "best ever" - I mean it!  Anybody want a peanut?  (For those Princess Bride fans out there.)


From Wintersweet Maple Brown Butter Apple Cake.  A few people in our group made comments about it being bland which surprised me but this cake was really delicious.  Very few things WOW me - I'm a hard nut to crack.  But Andrew and I thought this cake was yummy -- we ate it warm with some powdered sugar and a drizzle of maple syrup.  People tend to overcook and over bake things.  I think that might have been the case. I did add a little ginger to the recipe.


A variation of Amy Thielen's fried chicken.  I made chicken and waffles one night and Andrew asked "this is so good - is this what the movie stars eat in Los Angeles?"


I had an idea for tomato basil soup with tortellini and I made it.  Several people asked for a recipe - and I googled something similar --- and found something that sounded close.  Sorry that is how I roll.  I don't have time to write down every recipe I have in my head. I served it with mozzarella en carrozza.


Bagged Caesar salad with chicken cutlets.  This was a nice fast meal one night.  I added sesame seeds and all kinds of spices to the panko crumbs.


Amy Thielen's Peppered Pork Loin (I used tenderloin) -- this truly was fantastic.  I made garlic cheese bread and parmesan, shredded potato cups to serve along with it.

Earlier this month we took a trip up to Estes Park - we saw the Stanley Hotel and then we spent a few hours in Rocky Mountain National Park.  It was gorgeous.   


Well if you have gotten this far - thank you for reading my hodge podge of thoughts.  That is how I feel lately -- lost and rambling.  





Post a Comment